What is this indicator?
This indicator measures the total number of businesses that have participated in the Business Greening Program.
The Business Greening Program is free to Santa Monica businesses. The non-profit organization, Sustainable Works, contracts with the Office of Sustainability & the Environment to provide businesses with tools and resources to reduce costs, waste and environmental impact. Sustainable Works assesses current operations, provides recommendations, and guides businesses through a step-by-step implementation of selected measures. They also train and educate employees.
Why is it important?
Once businesses successfully implement targeted recommended actions, they can seek recognition through the Santa Monica Green Business Certification. Many businesses have taken steps to incorporate sustainable practices into their operations and have improved their performance, but until these programs emerged, customers had no way of recognizing which businesses were going "green" ” by implementing the triple ‘E’ – environment, equity, and economy.
Businesses can then go beyond ‘green’ by applying for local Sustainable Quality Awards(SQA). The SQA is an annual event that distinguishes local businesses making significant achievements in the areas of sustainable economic development, social responsibility, and stewardship of the natural environment.
By valuing these businesses’ achievements, other businesses are inspired to adopt their own sustainable practices. The proliferation of Certified Green Businesses and Sustainable Quality Awards winners in Santa Monica helps reduce the City’s carbon footprint and signals a citywide commitment to sustainability. It is important to recognize and support these leaders in our community.
How are we doing?
- 322 businesses have participated in the Business Greening Program, up from 157 in 2010.
- 170 certifications have been issued as part of the Green Business Certification program, up from 49 in 2010.
- 224 Sustainable Quality Awards issued to businesses, up from 135 in 2010.
How can we help?
- Are you a business owner? Sign up for the free Business Greening Program here .
- Learn more about the Green Business Certification Program and join a growing network of leading businesses that are saving money by saving resources.
- Find more information about the Sustainable Quality Awards.