What is this indicator?
This indicator measures the total number of annual trips taken by Breeze bike share bikes. Breeze is the City of Santa Monica’s public bike share program.
Why is it important?
Breeze was built to empower personal mobility, heighten livability, augment existing transit, stimulate economic growth, and promote an active and healthy lifestyle for residents and visitors in Santa Monica. The 500-bike system launched in November 2015 and includes 75 hubs in convenient locations throughout the city. Getting around by bike offers many health, environmental and community benefits:
- A quick and convenient way to get around the city.
- A healthy and sustainable form of transit that is friendly to the environment.
- A great way for visitors to experience the oceanfront vistas and shopping corridors that make our city a great place to live, work and play.
- A fun way to embrace an active lifestyle.
- A means to reduce traffic congestion, mitigate traffic and enliven commutes.
How are we doing?
Over 4,200 members of the new Breeze Bike Share logged more than 15,800 trips in the first month and a half of the program (November 12-December 30, 2015) – saving an estimated 35,116 lbs of carbon emissions. As of December 30, 2015, Breeze users had ridden over 34,000 miles and burned an estimated 1.6 million calories. These numbers are projected to rise as more residents become active members, and more visitors opt to experience Santa Monica via bike rather than car. The 2020 target is an annual increase in Bike share usage (total trips per year).